Kitchen Fire 854 Columbia Street
By Captain Justin Elliott
April 20, 2014

On Thursday April 17th at 6:31pm, City of Hudson Firefighters were dispatched to a report of a working kitchen fire at 854 Columbia Street.

Within minutes Hudson Car 1, Chief Craig Haigh, arrived on scene and reported there was smoke showing from the residence. Shortly thereafter Engine30 arrived on scene and stretched a handline to the 1st Floor.

Interior crews confirmed a working fire in the kitchen. The fire was knocked down quickly and contained to the stove, cabinets, and the ceiling above.

Engine 30 was assisted by the crews from Tower32 and Engine 28. The 1st floor suffered moderate fire and smoke damage while the 2nd floor residence suffered minor smoke damage. The Red Cross is assisting the residents.

The fire was determined to be accidental and caused by cooking.

The City of Hudson was assisted on scene by the Greenport Fire Department with M-25 and their FAST Team. Catskill stood by in their quarters for Hudson.

For information on home cooking safety, follow the link below. The link will bring you to the United States Fire Administration website. Learn how you can help prevent cooking-related home fires in your community with the safety tips, social media messages, public service announcements, and handouts developed by USFA and other organizations

Units: Car 1 Chief Craig Haigh, Car 3 2nd Asst Chief Anthony Demarco, Engine 30, Tower 32, Engine 28
Mutual Aid: Greenport M-25, Catskill (standby in quarters)
Hyperlinks: USFA Cooking Safety Tips